World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Lunt-Fontanne Theatre

Article Id: WHEBN0004401239
Reproduction Date:

Title: Lunt-Fontanne Theatre  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Tony Richardson, 44th Tony Awards, Alfred Lunt, Titanic (musical), Beauty and the Beast (musical)
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Lunt-Fontanne Theatre

Lunt-Fontanne Theatre
Globe Theatre (1910-1957)
Address 205 West 46th Street
New York, New York
United States
Coordinates
Owner Stahl Organization and Nederlander Organization
Operator Nederlander Organization
Type Broadway
Capacity 1,509
Production Motown: The Musical
Construction
Opened 10 January 1910
Closed 1931
Reopened 5 May 1958
Rebuilt 1957
Years active 1910-1931
1958-present
Architect Carrere & Hastings
Website
.com.luntfontannetheatrewww
Cigarette trading card showing the Globe Theatre, c. 1910s

The Lunt-Fontanne Theatre (previously known as the Globe Theatre) is a Broadway theatre located at 205 West 46th Street in midtown-Manhattan.

History

Designed by the architect firm of Carrere and Hastings, it was built by producer Charles Dillingham and opened as the Globe Theatre (in honor of London's Shakespearean playhouse) on January 10, 1910 with a musical entitled The Old Town. Although it was situated on 46th street with a grand Beaux-Arts facade, it also had a on Broadway between 46th and 47th Streets. Most of the Globe's early shows were dramatic plays, including two revivals of La Dame aux Camélias. In the late teens and 1920s, the focus shifted to musicals.

The original design and construction called for the ceiling and the roof 20 feet above it to roll back to reveal starlight and keep the theatre cooler in summer. No other Broadway theatre had such a design. There is no record of it ever actually opening. Other innovations included seats being individually cooled by ice or heated by hot air from vents underneath.[1]

In the 1930s, the Globe was converted into a movie house operated by the Brandt chain. City Playhouses Inc. (which consisted of developers Robert W. Dowling and William Zeckendorf) bought it in 1957 and had the firm Roche and Roche gut renovate it. Major changes were made, including the removal of the second balcony level, the Broadway entrance, and much of the original decor. It was rechristened the Lunt-Fontanne in honor of Alfred Lunt and Lynn Fontanne and reopened on May 5, 1958 with Friedrich Dürrenmatt's The Visit, starring the distinguished theatrical couple.

In 1960, City Playhouses sold the theatre to producers Nederlander Organization.

Notable productions

See also

References

  1. ^ The New York Times (February 1, 1998). Gray, Christopher. "Streetscapes/The Lunt-Fontanne; 1910 Theater, Once the Globe, Could Open to the Sky "
  2. ^ The New York Times (August 15, 1960). Zolotow, Sam. "Feuer and Martin Acquire Theatre"
  3. ^ The New York Times (July 8, 1964). "Feuer and Martin Buy Lunt-Fontanne Theater"
  4. ^ The New York Times (March 10, 1965). Zolotow, Sam. "Feuer and Martin Sell Lunt-Fontanne Theater"
  5. ^ Parker, John (ed.) (1947). Who's Who in the Theatre, 10th revised edition, London: 1430
  6. ^ BroadwayWorld.com website. (September 29, 2014). , A New Musical"Finding Never Land"

Further reading

  • Broadway Theatres: History and Architecture, William Morrison, 1999, Dover Publications, ISBN 0-486-40244-4
  • "The Globe Theatre Opens With Success". The New York Times. January 11, 1910.

External links

  • websiteLunt-Fontanne TheatreOfficial
  • Lunt-Fontanne Theatre at the Internet Broadway Database
  • New York City Architecture website
  • Broadway Show Guide
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 



Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from World Library are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.