World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Linosa

Article Id: WHEBN0006427858
Reproduction Date:

Title: Linosa  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Lampedusa e Linosa, List of islands of Italy, Peñón de Alhucemas, Glorioso Islands, Tromelin Island
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Linosa

Linosa
Geography
Location Mediterranean Sea
Coordinates
Archipelago Pelagie Islands
Area 5.4 km2 (2.1 sq mi)
Country
Italy
Region Sicily
Province Agrigento
Comune Lampedusa e Linosa
Demographics
Population 433

Linosa () is one of the Pelagie Islands in the Sicily Channel of the Mediterranean Sea.

The island is a part of the comune of Lampedusa e Linosa, part of the province of Agrigento, Sicily. It has a population of 430.

Name

The island is cited first as Greek Aethusa "Αἰθοῦσσα" by Strabo and Algusa "Ἀλγοῦσσα" by Pliny the Elder in his Naturalis Historia. The name "Lenusa" appeared first during the 16th century in the writing of Tommaso Fazello while the modern one date back to 1845 used by the Knight Bernardo Maria Sanvinsente.

Geography

The island has an area of 5.45 square kilometres (2.10 sq mi) and is of volcanic origin. It is formed by a series of craters of which Monte Vulcano, 195 metres (640 feet) high, is the most important. The closest land to Linosa is the island of Lampedusa, which lies 43 km (27 mi) to the south. Linosa is situated 119 kilometres (74 miles) west of Gozo, Malta, 121 km (75 miles) southeast of Pantelleria, 163 km (101 mi) south of Sicily and 165 km (103 mi) east of Cape Mahida in Tunisia.

History

During the Punic Wars it was used by the Romans as a base; the 150 water cisterns remaining are from this period. Roman domination was followed by Saracen, Norman, Angevin and Aragonese control. The island remained deserted until 1843 when Ferdinand II of the Two Sicilies ordered Knight Bernardo Maria Sanvinsente, captain of frigate, to colonize the island. The first thirty colonists (artisans from Ustica, Agrigento and Pantelleria) with the addition of a major, a priest and a doctor, landed on 25 April 1845.

During WWII, a small Italian garrison surrendered to a British force from HMS Nubian on the morning of 13 June 1943.

Few were interested in the island during the Kingdom of Italy and only in the 1970s did the island begin to change, with technological innovations and the development of tourism. The first telephone exchange was installed in 1963, the first power station in 1967, and a new school with a nursery in 1968. In 1983 the building of a desalinization plant provided a constant supply of potable water.

Economy

Linosa's population subsists on fishing, agriculture and tourism.

Gallery

See also

External links

  • Island statistics



This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 



Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from World Library are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.