World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Malabar Christian College

Malabar Christian College
Motto Education without Discrimination
Established 1909
Type Public, Affiliated to University of Calicut
Principal Gladys P.E. Isaac
Location Kozhikode, Kerala, India
Chairman Rt. Rev. K.P. Kuruvilla

The Malabar Christian College or MCC, at Kozhikode in Kerala is one of the oldest and renowned co-ed institutions in the city. It was established in the year 1909 by Protestant Christian missionaries from Basel, Switzerland with the aim to impart education to the youth in Malabar region without discrimination. MCC is managed by the Church of South India and is affiliated to the University of Calicut. It is a NAAC-accredited college.


  • Location 1
  • History 2
    • College 2.1
    • Post-graduate classes added 2.2
  • Departments 3
    • Department of English 3.1
    • Department of German 3.2
    • Department of Malayalam 3.3
    • Department of Chemistry 3.4
    • Department of Mathematics 3.5
  • Alumni 4
  • Journalism club 5
  • External links 6


The college is located in the heart of Kozhikode. On either side of the college is a highway: the Kannur road on the western side and Wayanad road on the eastern. This provides students from all parts of the city and neighbouring districts easy access.


In 1848 the Basel Mission started a primary school at Kallai, with about 11 pupils in five classes. This was the first school to teach English in Kozhikode and the school was known as the B.G.E.M. Anglo-Vernacular school. In 1859 the school was shifted from Kallai to the heart of the town (east of Mananchira) where the B.E.M. Girls High School stands now. As years went by, the school became more and more popular; in 1872 it was raised to a middle school.

Three years later, a new building was constructed for the school and, in 1878, the school was made a high school. G.T. Verghese was the first headmaster and under his management the school progressed rapidly. Since expansion of the classes was impossible in the existing building, in 1906 the school was shifted to the present building and the old building was handed over to B.E.M. Girls High school.


In 1910 the management applied to the University of Madras for the affiliation of the institution as a second grade college and in 1909 the first college class opened with 15 students of whom two were women. Rev. W. Muller was the first principal. The college was called the Basel German Mission College. In the Intermediate Course, English, Malayalam, Sanskrit, Kannada, Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry, Logic, Ancient History, and Modern History were the optional subjects. In 1929 Indian History and in 1929 German language were introduced.

In 1911 when Mueller went on furlough, W.E. Hoare MA (Oxon) was appointed principal. On his return from furlough in 1915 Rev Mueller resumed office. In the following year Hoare was again made principal. With the raising of the institution to the college level, a hostel to accommodate 50 students was constructed. Within three years of the starting of the college, it was decided to raise the college to the first grade level and plans were prepared for a more spacious building.

The outbreak of World War I followed by the interment of the German missionaries on the staff, the College interrupted the plan to upgrade the college. When in 1919 the Home Board of the Basel Mission withdrew its missionaries from Malabar, the Madras Christian College took over the Management of the College. In 1920 Hoare retired and Joseph Muliyil, who was then on the staff of Madras Christian College, was appointed principal.

In the following year, Muliyil went back to Madras Christian College, and F.N. Askwith was appointed principal. In 1927 the Management of the College was again taken over by the Basel Mission and Rev. A. Muench took charge of the college principal. He was succeeded in 1930 by Rev. A. Streckeisen who continued till 1935 and was succeeded in 1935 by F. Melzor. After serving for two years Melzor left to take up evangelist work and T.H. Lorch was appointed principal.

Lorch affected several improvements in the college. He made a determined effort to upgrade the college. The outbreak of World War II brought an end of his term as principal. When Lorch was interned J.F. Thaddaeus who was then the headmaster of the college's high school, was made principal. In 1940 the Basel Mission set up the Malabar and South Canara Christian Education Society (registered under the societies Registration Act of 1860) and transferred to it the Management of the college along with the Management of Mission High Schools in Malabar and South Canara.

In June 1953 V.G.M. Pavamani assumed charge as principal. Under his stewardship the college became a first grade one in July 1956 with the starting of BA degree course with Economics (main) and B.Sc. Mathematics course.

Post-graduate classes added

In 1957, the three-year BSc degree course in Chemistry, Physics, and Zoology were introduced. In 1964 the two-year Pre-Degree Course was introduced in place of the one year Pre-University Course. The college opened its first post-graduate course: M.Sc. Zoology in 1965. In 1967 Pavamani, after 14 years of service left for Canada to take up another assignment. He was succeeded by V.G. Lancelot Thomas.

After the formation of the Church of South India (CSI) on 27 September 1947 the College came under the management of CSI. In July 1968 the University of Calicut came into existence and, consequently, the College was affiliated to it.


Department of English

The Department of English is one of the oldest departments. Until 1998, the primary degree given from here was English literature. Since then, the college has offered a degree in Functional English, one of the few in Kerala to do so.

The Department of English is in the new block where it occupies a wing on the first floor.

A lot of clubs and firsts are in the name of this department. Under the experienced hand of its faculty, the department has brought out:

  • The Eco Club

The Eco-Friends club was launched in 2003 in Malabar Christian College. Since then it has been active in mentoring students to be environment friendly. As a part of this campaign the club runs a small unit where students manufacture paper bags, files, pen stands, leaf plates and CD covers. A bee keeping unit and a rockery with a garden and a water-fall were also started by the club in 2011. The products are marketed within the campus. The sale proceeds are used to run the club. Students from all disciplines become members of the club. Therefore this is also a great inter disciplinary venture. An Eco-Friends student cultivates a sensitivity towards the environment and society and an aptitude for social work and self-employment. Several other skills like leadership qualities, an ability for marketing, a capacity for organising and an overall development of personality are formed . At the end of their three-year tenure in the club the college awards an Eco-Friends Certificate to each of the final year student members in appreciation for their service.

  • The Indo Anglian Theatre

Launched by the Hon. Justice R Basanth during the Sanjayan Centenary Celebration. The aim of the group is to inculcate a love for the theatre, to bring out communication skills and develop positive personality. Regular on-going theatre workshop happen every Saturday(7.30 am to 9.30 am) Students from MCC, teachers, students from other schools also attend the workshop.

  • The Wilson H. Mackaden Foundation (In memory of W.H. Mackaden)

Launched in 2007 – to promote excellence in curricular and co-curricular activities.

Also in firsts, the department in 2008–09 brought out a cultural extravaganza associated with its association day – Kaizora 09 – which had never before been seen in the college.

Department of German

The Swiss and German missionaries who established this Institution wanted to acquaint the students of Malabar with German language and culture. Therefore in 1929 German language was introduced as part of the curriculum. MCC now enjoys the privilege as the only college under the University of Calicut where German is taught as a second language. It is one among the three colleges in Kerala State where German is offered. It is offered as a second language for BA / BSc Degree courses .

Apart from the regular courses, the department has been organising part-time courses in German in collaboration with Max Mueller Bhavan, Chennai, and the Department of Russian, University of Calicut and also evening courses for professionals conducted by Kozhikode's Indo–German Society. It is also associated with consultancy services for translation from German- English- German to the vernacular press, various research and private institutes.

Department of Malayalam

Malayalam has been offered as a second language here from the very beginning in 1909. The BA course in Malayalam was started in 1980 and the M.A. in 2000.

Malayala Mandalam is an organisation working under the department for the past 20 years which organises cultural programmes. The activities of Malayala Mandalam in 2009 were inaugurated by Soorya Krishnamoorthy. The Department of Malayalam regularly publishes a magazine titled Jalakam. A bilingual research journal Malabar research Manual is now published by the dept. Noted freedom Fighter and writer V. Parukkutty Amma, who was a student of Sanjayan, has instituted the Sanjayan Endowment in 2009 to give a scholarship to the best student. O. V. Vijayan Samskarika Samithy is an organisation working under the joint auspices of the Malayalam and English departments.


K. V. Thomas is the Director of the M. P. Paul Research Centre. The centre is now doing a project in the writing of local history. Thomas is a literary critic and has published books on various subjects. He has won the Prof M.M.Ghani Award 2011 for the best college teacher instituted by the University of Calicut. His Nagarathil Paranja Suvishesham has won the prestigious Uroob Award in 2003 and Kasak Award in 2005. His book Adhunika Malayala Shaily was released in the British Parliament on 15 November 2007. The English-English-Malayalam dictionary compiled and edited by K. V. Thomas was released in March 2011. Thomas has recently received the Dr.Hermann Gundert Award 2011""""sevana sreshta award " of the thiruvalluvar trust chennai.

Department of Chemistry

The department offers the following courses:

  • B.Sc. Chemistry with Mathematics and Physics as subsidiaries (Since 1957)
  • M.Sc. Chemistry (Four Semesters) with Environmental and Analytical Chemistry as special paper. (Since 1999)
  • P.G Diploma in Cheminformatics (Two semesters)

The Department of Chemistry celebrated its 50th anniversary in January 2008.

Department of Mathematics

The department offersMsc& B.Sc in Mathematics. Mathematics is also the compulsory subsidiary subject for B.Sc Physics and Chemistry. In 2013 M.Sc Maths was started


Malabar Christian College has produced a number of prominent alumni, including K. Ayyappa Paniker poet and critic. The Malabar Christian College Old Students' Association represents all the alumni of MCC. It was registered under the Societies Registration Act XXI of 1860 on 30 July 1974.Aims and Objectives of the Alumni

In addition to MCC OSA there are alumni of specific departments:

  • History and Economics Alummi Association
  • Physics Alumni Malabar Christian College Calicut (PAMC)
  • Malayala Mandalam is an organisation of former and present students of the Malayalam Department

Journalism club

The club was established in 1998. In 2000 the members made the "world's largest wall news magazine Odyssey". It was made in cloth 800 feet long and 3 feet wide. In 2001 the club organised a grand exhibition titled Apoorvam. More than 2000 rare journals and a number of rare books were exhibited. The club is organising study classes on various aspects of media by eminent journalists. The club has selected the following journalists for the Odyssey Journalism Award: A. Sajeevan (Kerala Koumudi), Gopi Krishnan (Mathruboomi), Ravindra Das (Deshabhimani), Manambur Rajan Babu (Innu), Nooranad Mohan (Unma).

External links

  • Malabar Christian College
  • Online Photo Archive of Basel Mission

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.

Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from World Library are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.