World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Portugal Cove South, Newfoundland and Labrador

Article Id: WHEBN0027535276
Reproduction Date:

Title: Portugal Cove South, Newfoundland and Labrador  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Division No. 1, Newfoundland and Labrador, List of cities and towns in Newfoundland and Labrador, Cod fisheries
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Portugal Cove South, Newfoundland and Labrador

Portugal Cove South
Town
Country  Canada
Province  Newfoundland and Labrador
Population (2006)
 • Total 225
Time zone Newfoundland Time (UTC-3:30)
 • Summer (DST) Newfoundland Daylight (UTC-2:30)
Area code(s) 709

Portugal Cove South (46°42′38″N 53°15′28″W / 46.71056°N 53.25778°W / 46.71056; -53.25778 NST) is a small fishing town on the southern shore of the Avalon Peninsula of Newfoundland in the province of Newfoundland & Labrador, Canada. It is located 138 km south of St. John's.

Its name is derived from its origins as a Portuguese station first settled in the 16th century. 'South' was added in order to distinguish itself from Portugal Cove, near Conception Bay.

Portugal Cove South had a population of 225 in the Canada 2006 Census.

Until 1992, many residents participated in the in shore cod fishery. More recently the economy has diversified and some being self-employed and others pursuing work in nearby communities.

There is an interpretation centre in Portugal Cove South, which is the starting point for guided tours of Mistaken Point Ecological Reserve which has a collection of some of the oldest known Ediacaran fossils. Cape Race is accessible by gravel road via Portugal Cove South, 19 km away.

History

It was originally visited by Basque, English, French and Portuguese migratory fishermen, and permanently settled in the late 18th century by William Hartery of Waterford Country, Ireland.

Portugal Cove South was settled by the Molloy's from Trepassey and the O'Leary's from Renews from the 1800-1850s. From 1850 to 1890, the Coombs, Power and Ward families arrived. From 1900-1950, more families arrived from the small coastal communities of Long Beach and the Drook, which are now abandoned communities.

In 2010 Hurricane Igor made a direct hit on the town.

See also

External links

  • Portugal Cove South Visitor Centre
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 



Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from World Library are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.